Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Happy Two Years of Loc'ing Strong!

It's our anniversary!

I just realized that today, two years ago, my son and I decided that we would begin the loc process on his hair. I must admit that I seriously doubted that we ever get here but I underestimated his commitment to this process (who'd've thunk that a then 7-year old, now 9-year old could commit to anything??!!)

Anyway, we've experienced pretty much everything that I remember reading about in the beginning, as far as the reactions of those around us: "Why you gon' do that to that boy's head?" "Cut that mess off." "Son, you don't really want your hair like this, do you?"

Through all of the doubts, questions, downright negativity that came our way, my son flashed all comers his most charming smile. He never argued, he never waivered. His response to all the nay-sayers, who would shake their head and ask, "don't you want your mama to cut your hair off?"; his answer never changed.

"NO."

He'd then flash those pearly whites again, with a heavier emphasis on the deep dimples in his cheecks, shake his hair out of his eyes and then go on about his business.

I'm so proud!

Not just of his hair, but of his own sense of individuality, his own sense of self. I'm raising a nonconformist, y'all without even realizing it and I think it is phenomenal!

Personally, I think his hair is beautiful (actually, I think everything about my child is beautiful but since this blog is about his hair, I'll just stick to this for the moment). I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but it has a smooth, mushy softness to it that draws my hands to it all the time. We might be cuddling in front of the tv and I find my hands caressing the little baby curls at the nape of his neck, y'know, the ones that still refuse to loc? He tolerates me for a minute and then finds some excuse to move his head.

Hmmmm?

The mommie also tries not to get jealous when I see two certain little girls in his classroom coming up with excuses to play in his head.

Grrrrrr!

I know, I know. I'll get over myself soon.

But to finish my thought: I'm proud of this little person that God has placed into my keeping. My son made a decision about and for himself and continues to have to self-confidence to stand by that decision despite the occasional nay-sayer or negative comment that come his way.

I'm a nonconformist myself and I know the internal strength that is required when you decide to swim against the tide. I have to admit though that it took me way longer than age 9 to develop the confidence to step out and do me.

Therefore it is the strength of his character that makes me most proud.

Happy Anniversary, baby!

Pictures are coming in the next day or so!!

No comments: